GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index GeoCachingEdmonton.com
The Edmonton Area''s Geocaching Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Return to GCE   Open Chat Window

OREGON 650 Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index -> GeoGear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CachingCarolandHugh
Geo-ode

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: OREGON 650 Problem Reply with quote

Anybody in the Edmonton Geo-community using a Oregon 650? Trying to help out a new cacher who has one but having problem getting caches to show up in it. Is there a max limit on # of caches in a PQ that the 650 will accept? Can load individual caches from geocaching.com and a PQ through GSAK with 77 caches in it and they show up, but one with 377 caches won't show.

All files are being loaded into the folder on the 650: D:\Garmin\GPX\filename.gpx

Any help/thoughts appreciated.

...Hugh
twilc33
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Oregon 650 GPX Loading Reply with quote

I did a test with my Dakota 20 by telling GSAK that it was an Oregon 650 and aborted the load rather than waiting for 10,000 caches to load. I did notice that GSAK named the download file as geocaches.ggz (not .gpx) and found a new directory on the Dakota \garmin\GGZ.

I can only speculate that you did not use the GPSr Setup button in the download dialog box. In GSAK you need to set the GPSr model number before you can load geocaches.
CachingCarolandHugh
Geo-ode

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon 650 GPX Loading Reply with quote

twilc33 wrote:

I can only speculate that you did not use the GPSr Setup button in the download dialog box. In GSAK you need to set the GPSr model number before you can load geocaches.

Hi twilc33:
Yes. That was the first thing that we tried, as we have a MAP64st which also uses the *.GGZ file format for xfering caches to it. We set the GPS type to the Oregon 650, loaded the .GGZ file into the D:\Garmin\GGZ folder, confirmed that it was there, but no caches would show up. And THAT we found quite strange.

It was after that that we tried uploading to the other directories, which worked on hit and miss basis.

...Hugh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index -> GeoGear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: