GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index GeoCachingEdmonton.com
The Edmonton Area''s Geocaching Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Return to GCE   Open Chat Window

RIP Bill Hinchey aka "Mountain Man"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzhiker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: RIP Bill Hinchey aka "Mountain Man" Reply with quote

It is with deep regret and profund sadness that I inform you of the passing of fellow Geocacher Bill Hinchey aka "Mountain Man" of Spruce Grove Alberta. He passed on Wednesday September 6th at 0500.

A memorial/funeral will be held on Saturday September 30,2017 at 15:00 hours at St.Augustine's Parkland Anglican Church in Spruce Grove.

Mountain Man loved Geocaching and had over 1900 finds under his belt. He was a gentle man with a lively soul who loved the outdoors and the adventures that took him near and far into the wilds.

RIP Mountain Man, you will be truely missed. Crying or Very sad
SigShark
Geo-logical

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP you will always be in my heart
GeoGuider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: "Mountain Man" Bill Hinchey Reply with quote

Bill Hinchey - a dear friend, an enthusiastic geocacher who preferred traditionals on back country trails to puzzles, and an avid photographer who always had a camera in hand at events. Bill and Ivy pointed out the Prairie Winds Adventure Trail to j0ckser and I; the two of them motivated us to take the most amazing geocaching trip to southern Alberta in 2016, as they had completed the trail the year before. I had the privilege of being able to visit Mountain Man in the Stony Plain Hospital a few times in the last couple weeks. He was very aware, eager to hear geocaching stories and appreciative of the visits.

Bill lost his first wife to cancer, then married Ivy three years ago on September 12, 2014. He often told me that he was blessed over his lifetime to have found two lovely women who wanted him. PoisonIvy38 took up geocaching alongside Bill and he was SO excited when she hit her milestone of 1000 finds. She has now lost two husbands to cancer.

Bill Hinchey, you are sadly missed already.
j0ckser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: RIP Reply with quote

I would have first met Mountain Man at Johnnygeo's Christmas party December 2014. He (and Ivy [PoisonIvy38]) were already regulars at VP's dinners at Fargos, and would become regulars at GeoGuider's (Marion's) dinners in Spruce Grove and Mayfield Common. He would continue to attend the Fargos dinners when I took over hosting.

His ready smile was a welcome sight at those events. And he always had his camera at the ready to record those present.

As time passed I had a chance to sit and chat with him and Ivy, and began to consider him a friend. When he entered hospital in Stony Plain, I was very concerned. I was very honoured when he asked for me to visit him. I had the good fortune to catch him on a good day about a week before he passed. Mercifully, his hospital stay was very short, but he was always surrounded by family and friends.

Fare thee well my friend. RIP Bill.

Jock
CachingCarolandHugh
Geo-ode

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CachingCarolandHugh have very found memories of Bill and Ivy when we were at the "Meanwhile Back at the Ranch" event in the spring of 2016. We took "Mountain Man" with us to go caching hunting as it was difficult for them to go out with their camper.

Bill helped us pull a big tree off of the trail to the old cabin to make it easier to navigate and then we took some pictures at the cabin. Here is one of Bill:

We also wish to extend our sincere condolences to Ivy.

Carol and Hugh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: