GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index GeoCachingEdmonton.com
The Edmonton Area''s Geocaching Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Return to GCE   Open Chat Window

Unofficial Geocache Etch -a -Sketch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index -> GPS Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbrunog
Geo-logical

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Unofficial Geocache Etch -a -Sketch Reply with quote

I have created a fabulous Geocache based on my successful. GPSr Etch-a-Sketch series.

Like Nomad this geocache is in the full spirit of a geocache , but is not publishable in its current form. I want to replace the detailed written instructions with a downloadable GPX file. This file will contain about 65 waypoints and the route information(using those waypoints) to complete the geocache. All you, the cacher, has to do is download the file. Open it up with Mapsource or EasyGPS. and upload it to your GPSr.

I have used Navaid symbols so all of the 65 or so waypoints can be deleted easily at the end of the quest.

The only way I could do this ,legally, on THE FROG would be to enter all 65 waypoints as points of reference. You would then create a GPX file from GCE containing all of the waypoints. Unfortunately though, you would then have to create the long route, and the symbols would be lost.

I am therefore going to hide my cache and will post a link to my cache page on this website. The cache is in full compliance with all the standard geocaching guidelines except that it requires a download. So even though it is an unofficial geocache, please do not trade items that would be inappropriate in any other cache.

The download required is a file that we routinely download from The Frog daily in our Pocket Queries. I created this GPX file using Mapsource.

I am posting this in advance to get your feedback, if there is any interest in doing this I will proceed with the cache. All of the cache teams will be rewarded with a fantastic new Geocaching experience. The first six cache teams will be rewarded with a cool themed unactivated Geocoin.

All you Smile craving number hungry cachasauruses don't be dismayed as I will be providing the coordinates to University in the final cache so you can backdoor a 5* smiley!!!! Wink
CoalBranchKid
Geo-stationary

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUGELY INTERESTED!!! Very Happy
Bring it ON KBG!!
Stig Figger
Geo-D

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interest, I has it.

I trust you have compliance from da cache owner to supply those co-ords? Very Happy
Geo-logical

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I don't have compliance from Da Cache owner, that is what makes this fun,......No???

Actually the University comment was a troll for VP. I have something in mind though, but it will naturally be a surprise. Cool
One Smart Dog
Geo-graphical

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun. Do you think it would be ready for Saturday?? Have some caching plans made for my birthday and this sounds like neat way to spend it. We really enjoyed the GPSr Etch-a-Sketch series and would be happy to spend the day doing this one.

Currently the plans are to take Dewey Dude, which consists of part of our team and his father, out to do the kbroug grail series with the rest of OSD. Adding another kbroug COOL cache to the plans would be great. (I get to plan the caches or at least that is what I beleive I was told.... Something about it being a birthday.... ) My father-in-law has not yet done the GPSr Etch-a-Sketch series but I know he will think this is cool use of the GPSr.
kbrunog
Geo-logical

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a slim possibility that it will be ready by then. I have a few cool coins Shocked on order before I can plant the hide, So by the mail I will wait. I likely will plant the cache this weekend if I have my special swag.

Thanks for the enthusiasm, Methinks the Quest by Kbrunog®will have you relatively busy for one day, You should aim to do the first before the Flash mob as the second one is relatively close to the Flash Mob event
One Smart Dog
Geo-graphical

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrunog wrote:
There is a slim possibility that it will be ready by then. I have a few cool coins Shocked on order before I can plant the hide, So by the mail I will wait. I likely will plant the cache this weekend if I have my special swag.

Thanks for the enthusiasm, Methinks the Quest by Kbrunog®will have you relatively busy for one day, You should aim to do the first before the Flash mob as the second one is relatively close to the Flash Mob event

We have ALL weekend for caching, as one mom is out of the country and the other is busy with the other siblings and their kids. THis is a rare Birthday weekend that I don't have to share and everyone is off work as we were orignally leaving town. So we can easily fit in a side quest for a GPSr Etch-a-Sketch in the middle of the Quest by Kbrunog®. Waiting with baited breath.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index -> GPS Games All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: