GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index GeoCachingEdmonton.com
The Edmonton Area''s Geocaching Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Return to GCE   Open Chat Window

SnapSpot
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index -> GPS Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stig Figger
Geo-D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: SnapSpot Reply with quote

“SnapSpot” is a game similar to “Shutterspot” hosted on www.gpsgames.org. The SnapSpot photograph will be a picture taken within Edmonton city limits. Your goal is to guess where it was taken, visit the spot and try to take the same picture with your camera but including your GPSr displaying the co-ordinates (ideally within ~10m of the actual SnapSpot). The ‘winner’ is the player who first posts a link to their online shared photo (e.g. through flickr.com). The ‘winner’ will then post the next picture so that others can try to find the new SnapSpot.

I have chosen to start a new game here as an alternative to Shutterspot. I feel that the aim of Shutterspot is to coax players to visit sites that possess a certain beauty, history, or other curious interest. SnapSpot photos can be much more mundane, or even ‘ugly’, if you wish - but please adhere to the following guidelines:
1. No dangerous or precarious places.
2. No trespassing.
3. No indoor photos.
4. Try to take the photo so that your whereabouts in the city and your precise position at the SnapSpot can be unambiguously determined (e.g. no extreme close-ups, just people, ubiquitous park benches, garbage cans, fences, etc.). On the flipside, don’t make it too obvious (like showing the street address)!

For each week after the SnapSpot photo is posted and there is no winner, reveal one digit in the ‘minutes’ portion of each of the Northing and Westing co-ordinates of the SnapSpot to help players refine their searches. e.g. N53 3_.___ W113 2_.___ would be revealed 7 days after posting the photo…and then N53 32.___ W113 29.___ would be revealed after another 7 days.

If you don’t have access to a digital camera but would still like to play, you can send a private message to the player who posted the most recent SnapSpot with your guesses and ask if you’re getting ‘hot’ or ‘cold’ - but please don’t give out any hints in the public forum. Google’s Satellite Map may be very helpful to everyone in your searching.

Last edited by Stig Figger on Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Stig Figger
Geo-D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnapSpot001

Good luck Very Happy !
Geo-D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for the first clue.
SnapSpot001 = N53 3_.___ W113 3_.___

I would love to hear if anyone has actually been thinking about this game. And if this clue actually helps.
Geo-graphical

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a really good idea where this is, but I have been too busy to go and check it out as of yet.
ve6dave
Geo-graphical

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was that the correct coordinates?
Stig Figger
Geo-D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve6dave wrote:
So was that the correct coordinates?

Did you send me a private message? There aren't any in my inbox.
Geo-D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve6dave wrote:
Hi Tim, the coordinates of the snapspot are:

N53 31.743 W113 34.044

The coords differed from .742 -.743 and .043 - 051

Correct! My co-ords were N53 31.742 W113 34.049. Now I hope you have a picture you can share with us! Setting up an account at www.flickr.com is quick and easy. Just make sure you have the image available to the public, then post the link here with the "Img" tag.
Geo-D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

I went out there today, not knowing ve6dave had already found it. I matched the picture to the location very closely and came up with N53 31.740 W113 34.048. You had N53 31.742 W113 34.049, a difference of 3.8 meters! Now I'd say with GPS inacuracy that THAT's pretty good!!! Wink

Unfortunatly, in the haste of the moment, I forgot to take the picture! Darn! But I assure you I found it on my own. I actually saw the spot from above using Google Earth!

That was fun! One of these days, I'll take a good picture and start one too.
Stig Figger
Geo-D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give ve6dave until Tuesday lunchtime to reply (with a picture or intent to provide a picture). If no announcment by then, then Mr. Speedy can 'host' SnapSpot002.
Geo-graphical

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Snapspot 002 Reply with quote

I was sitting wondering what I should take a picture of to set as the snapspot, then it came to me!

N53 3_._ _ _ W113 3_._ _ _

Good luck, the search being in the GREATER Edmonton area.

Mr. Speedy
Geo-D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Snapspot 002 Reply with quote

ve6dave wrote:
Good luck, the search being in the GREATER Edmonton area.

Nice picture, but who's going to find this... In the GREATER Edmonton... I predict it will take a while for anyone to find this unless they are familiar with this particular GREATER Edmonton area! Shocked Weren't the rules stating that the snapshot had to be taken within the city limit? Question
Stig Figger
Geo-D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Snapspot 002 Reply with quote

Mr. Speedy wrote:
Weren't the rules stating that the snapshot had to be taken within the city limit? Question

Through private messages, I conceded to this change in the rules as it seemed that my first SnapSpot could be found simply by studying sat maps. Ergo, it didn't seem to make a difference to me if we expanded the area a little. I propose that we continue the sat-map-searching method for all future SnapSpots to save on fuel consumption :siglaugh:. This adds an unexpected twist to the game that I think may make it more enticing for others to try and play. Even though the current Spot may be difficult/impossible to detect by a satellite picture, it will be up to us to use our noggins a little :sigantenna: to try and guess where this is, even without visiting it! We should be able to deduce certain properties of the location by the provided picture and ve6dave's 'personal' information and may possibly learn more through Google searches. Also, we did not see this on our trip through ve6dave's stomping grounds today so can at least eliminate certain areas from our consideration!

Don't forget we will also receive more and more revealing hints with each passing week. We need an additional rule that I will introduce now.
*If guessing the SnapSpot by means of stating co-ordinates without taking a replicate photograph, then only one guess per day is allowed. The guesses should be made through messages in the forum as opposed to private messages or email so that all players may see the result of each guess. It is up to the SnapSpot 'host' to decide whether to provide additional hints (e.g. "you're getting close") with his/her response to each guess.*

As you can see, the rules to these games are still fluid. If we still need further changes (or even to throw out new changes), then keep up the discussion.
Geo-graphical

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Greater Edmonton Reply with quote

Mr. Speedy, I am surprised that this bench lacks familiarity looking at the caches you have paraded by recently. Very Happy
RoadsideTurnout
Geo-graphical

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Snap Reply with quote

Found this one tonight.

Coordinates are ~ N53 38.043 W113 37.776

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Do I win? Or is there another bench like this one in the greater Edmonton area? It looks larger in person. This is one big bench.
Geo-graphical

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Snapshot002 Reply with quote

Most definitely! Great job, I figured that it wouldn't be that difficult a task. So next round goes to Roadside Turnout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index -> GPS Games All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: