GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index GeoCachingEdmonton.com
The Edmonton Area''s Geocaching Discussion Forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Return to GCE   Open Chat Window

SnapSpot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index -> GPS Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mr. Speedy
Geo-D


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 1114
Location: Somewhere near Edmonton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viajero Perdido wrote:
Mr. Speedy wrote:
Hasty? I spent an hour or more analyzing the picture, the angles, etc

Hee hee. Very Happy In an hour, I could casually walk over from VPHQ, find the exact spot (+- 15cm), and casually stroll back. The GPS would be the weak link in the whole system, with its +-2m accuracy (on a good day) at best.

Hey, Mr. "I-live-2-block-away-from-every-caches-in-town"! Some of us actually live in the country where the only caches around are the one you placed! Sad

Viajero Perdido wrote:
But then, why do it the simple way when you can have fun using Google's multi-billion dollar satellites, right? It's like, when we go looking for tupperware, would you rather use satellites, or just go to the store? Right...

You got that right! Smile
_________________
Mr. Speedy geocaching stats
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
testy
Geo-D


Joined: 04 Apr 2005
Posts: 509

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Speedy wrote:
Hey, Mr. "I-live-2-block-away-from-every-caches-in-town"! Some of us actually live in the country where the only caches around are the one you placed! Sad
Hey Mr. "I've done every cache in town and now I'm bored" why don't we start a "Where in the World is this Snapspot" using Google Earth.

For example...ahem....we have to go to Cowtown unexpectedly tomorrow so what say we snap a "where in the world" spot (and yes maybe not too weird) give some partial coords and ask you to "find" it. Just as a trial run. And in the meantime make up some new rules to give you people that have nothing better to do but "grok" google earth, and others a chance to find it. You make the rules and we'll start it off with a challenge? Sound like an idea?

But the idea for the Edmonton and Area ones IMHO should still be that you VISIT the cache. And just so it doesn't get boooorring lets try to bring some of those lurkers into the forums to see what all the fun is all about.

Go go for it!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Speedy
Geo-D


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 1114
Location: Somewhere near Edmonton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

testy wrote:
Hey Mr. "I've done every cache in town and now I'm bored" why don't we start a "Where in the World is this Snapspot" using Google Earth.

Go go for it!!!

I'm up for it! Smile
_________________
Mr. Speedy geocaching stats
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Mr. Speedy
Geo-D


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 1114
Location: Somewhere near Edmonton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Speedy wrote:
testy wrote:
Hey Mr. "I've done every cache in town and now I'm bored" why don't we start a "Where in the World is this Snapspot" using Google Earth.

Go go for it!!!

I'm up for it! Smile


The first "EarthSpot" is live!

Good Luck!
_________________
Mr. Speedy geocaching stats
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
brat
Site Admin


Joined: 10 Apr 2005
Posts: 631
Location: Uh, Edmonton!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viajero Perdido wrote:
brat wrote:
Lukewarm... but not Hot! Your GPS should give you better accuracy than that! Twisted Evil With the clues in that shot you should be able to get within 10m Very Happy

Must be Google Earth numbers! s1_nono

Heck, anybody who actually visits the spot should be able to pinpoint it to about 15cm, which is somewhat less than .001 in GPS units.


Today's Clue: Yep, the last guess was over 50m out...I'm not saying how much over either Wink
_________________
blog.bradgrier.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Speedy
Geo-D


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 1114
Location: Somewhere near Edmonton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brat wrote:
Today's Clue: Yep, the last guess was over 50m out...I'm not saying how much over either Wink

Hey VP, I suggest you casually walk to the spot, get within 15 cm, take the picture and come back slowly to VPHQ to log your "find"! Wink
_________________
Mr. Speedy geocaching stats
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Viajero Perdido
Site Admin


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 1380
Location: N53 W113

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Speedy wrote:
Hey VP, I suggest you casually walk to the spot, get within 15 cm, take the picture and come back slowly to VPHQ to log your "find"! Wink

Monit!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Viajero Perdido
Site Admin


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 1380
Location: N53 W113

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the spot:



Sorry it's such a crummy shot - I was shooting into the sun this morning.

Also... I'm pretty sure I found the exact spot - complete with blue pillar - to within 15cm, but I'm sure not confident about the GPS version of the coordinates there. I averaged some readings to get 53 31.812, 113 30.725. Compare those numbers with what's in the picture - the GPS reception was absolutely horrible under that bridge and it took me forever to get a lock.

BTW, Speedy, that's the middle of the bridge, not the south end. Wink

Do I get to post the next picture then? I've already got one ready to go...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Speedy
Geo-D


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 1114
Location: Somewhere near Edmonton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viajero Perdido wrote:
BTW, Speedy, that's the middle of the bridge, not the south end. Wink

Ok, but I was still not too far and I was Speedy! Wink
_________________
Mr. Speedy geocaching stats
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Viajero Perdido
Site Admin


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 1380
Location: N53 W113

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Speedy wrote:
Ok, but I was still not too far

Hey, what's 0.020 or so between friends? Cool

VP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brat
Site Admin


Joined: 10 Apr 2005
Posts: 631
Location: Uh, Edmonton!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viajero Perdido wrote:

Sorry it's such a crummy shot - I was shooting into the sun this morning.

Also... I'm pretty sure I found the exact spot - complete with blue pillar - to within 15cm, but I'm sure not confident about the GPS version of the coordinates there. I averaged some readings to get 53 31.812, 113 30.725. Compare those numbers with what's in the picture - the GPS reception was absolutely horrible under that bridge and it took me forever to get a lock.

BTW, Speedy, that's the middle of the bridge, not the south end. Wink

Do I get to post the next picture then? I've already got one ready to go...


Well Done VP! You're within 6m...




I guess you're next up!
_________________
blog.bradgrier.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Viajero Perdido
Site Admin


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 1380
Location: N53 W113

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brat wrote:
I guess you're next up!

Right, then...



This attractive scene is ...somewhere within Edmonton city limits. I won't give any coordinate hints for a few days, because I might've already made it too easy. We'll see.

Have fun!
VP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ve6dave
Geo-graphical


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 197
Location: St. Albert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Well how about... Reply with quote

between N53 35.036 W113 33.448 and N53 35.038 W113 33.450 or thereabouts wasn't getting a very good lock, or rather I was in a bit of a hurry.

_________________
Profile for ve6dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Viajero Perdido
Site Admin


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 1380
Location: N53 W113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Well how about... Reply with quote

ve6dave wrote:
between N53 35.036 W113 33.448 and N53 35.038 W113 33.450 or thereabouts wasn't getting a very good lock, or rather I was in a bit of a hurry.

A couple of paces to your left, Dave! s1_nono

Aw what the heck, that's close enough. Well done! s1_gold (I knew I'd be giving it away to someone from St. Albert...)

Your turn!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ve6dave
Geo-graphical


Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 197
Location: St. Albert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing was, as soon as I saw the picture I knew where it was. I didn't print out the picture, I just wandered by and took the best guess from memory. Embarassed
_________________
Profile for ve6dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index -> GPS Games All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP