GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index GeoCachingEdmonton.com
The Edmonton Area''s Geocaching Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Return to GCE   Open Chat Window

Big Cache Contest
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index -> GPS Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stig Figger
Geo-D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Big Cache Contest Reply with quote

Not to hijack twj's idea that started this particular thread, but if there is other interest, I would really like to continue to develop RT's and my ideas for a more elaborate contest. To summarize:

RoadsideTurnout wrote:

Primary rule:
It has to be a true cache, i.e. it can't be a small container stuck in a dumpster and you claim the dumpster as a cache.

Secondary rules:
It must contain traditional trade items.
Must be placed where small geocachers can access it.
Must be posted on GC.com and follow their guidelines.
We track this in GCEdmonton/forums as one of the GPSgames.

I think Time can make up a points chart. He's got all that brain power just waiting to break out their cells. I'm thinking along the lines of:
The bigger it is the more points, i.e. measured in litres
Number of finds, i.e. if it's way out in the middle of nowhere where you can hide a body for months, people tend not to go there, hence less finds.

TimeAndSpace wrote:

Further to your Primary rule, you must use the full volume of the large container to store the swag. i.e. you can't place a functional garbage can in the woods and then have the swag hidden in a secondary container attached to the side or something.

Scoring will be easier if there is a fixed end point, say the contest is on until someone reaches 300 points.
1. You start with x points per litre for the size of the container.
2. You get 1 point for each day the cache is active. Can only be verified by finds and periodic visits by the owner (honour system). If it goes missing, we'll try to calculate a date to earn reasonble 'activity points'...and you can start a new one but don't get new 'size points'.
3. You get 5 points for each logged find.
4. You must find everyone else's container to be eligible to win. So we need a cut-off date for contest entry.

If someone uses a 20L container, and you get 20 finds, you would reach 300 points in 6 months. Sound like a reasonable estimation? A bigger container should give you an obvious edge.

Let's collect ideas until the end of the month. I'll also post this idea to the CAC forum for their input and see if they want to run a parallel contest. If others support this more elaborate contest, then I'll post the finalized rules on Dec.1...so if you've already got a container ready to hide (I just picked up one this morning) please hold off on GC.com submission until that date.

Last edited by Stig Figger on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Stig Figger
Geo-D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a large pail that held 10kg of chemical...probably a 20L volume. I'll measure with a milk jug tomorrow to be sure. I plan to camo-paint it and put it in what-I-think-may-be an infrequently-visited area of a city park.

1. Any comments on the points scheme I mentioned above? Sound fair? That bit about finding all the other contestants' caches is to help verify the 'size points'.

2. Should we use any other properties that could potentially gather points, like say +5 if used for a TB drop (by a non-contestant)?

3. Any penalties to consider, like soliciting (e.g. you must find this cache to get co-ordinates for another cache)?

4. Any ideas on how to track the points? I was just going to manually tally scores in a spreadsheet. I'm not programming-literate.

5. I propose Jan 31 as the entry cut-off date.
Geo-graphical

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we going to be just considering newly placed caches or do Travel Mug Hotel and Kitchen Aid still qualify?
Mr. Speedy
Geo-D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve6dave wrote:
Are we going to be just considering newly placed caches or do Travel Mug Hotel and Kitchen Aid still qualify?

If noone else comes up with anything bigger, I'd be willing to grant the win to Travel Mug Hotel. That IS a big F'ing cache!
Mr. Speedy
Geo-D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeAndSpace wrote:
I've got a large pail that held 10kg of chemical...probably a 20L volume. I'll measure with a milk jug tomorrow to be sure. I plan to camo-paint it and put it in what-I-think-may-be an infrequently-visited area of a city park.

I though we'd keep our plans a secret until it is stashed and approved. Are you trying to up the ante? Wink
Stig Figger
Geo-D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve6dave wrote:

I think only new entries should be allowed. They haven't been 'tested' like TMH and KA.

Mr. Speedy wrote:
I thought we'd keep our plans a secret until it is stashed and approved. Are you trying to up the ante?

Just trying to drum up interest and give you an idea what you need to be competetive Smile .
Geo-graphical

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the entry about waiting until December 1. I submitted one called "The Tank". http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fca738e2-be67-4eea-9553-8349561ebf2c That has just been approved.

It may not win for being the biggest, but it would win for being the toughest. Tough as in Tank! You'll know what I mean when you find it.

RT
Geo-D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoadsideTurnout wrote:
I submitted one called "The Tank".

I can't wait to see it! Razz
Stig Figger
Geo-D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoadsideTurnout wrote:
I missed the entry about waiting until December 1.
RT

No worries. You'll just not accumulate 'activity points' (1 per day) until December 1. You can collect 'find points' (5 per find) starting now, since in a few months time all the caches should have similar number of finds...unless the caches are 'poor' (e.g. muggled, uninteresting, too far away, too difficult to find)... so you won't have a significant advantage over the other entries.

And how big is The Tank (volume, in litres)?
Geo-D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Official Rules for RoadsideTurnout's/Time&Space's Big Cache Contest!

Objective:
Own the first new cache to accumulate 300 points.

'Size points' - 1 point per metric litre of volume (if the volume is unknown, fill it up with water measured from a milk jug or pop bottle or make a reasonable estimate that others agree with).
'Activity points' - 1 point per day while the cache is enabled and physically present for cachers to find (if there is a DNF, then we will determine a reasonable stop-date for activity points; activity points may resume once the replacement is available).
'Find points' - 5 points per logged find.
'TB points' - 5 points per logged Travel Bug drop, when concurrent with a new find (i.e. you can't have a friend visit routinely to drop off TBs).
'Muggle penalty' - subtract 25 points if found by a muggle (who writes a note in the logbook)

How to play:
1. Hide and submit a new traditional cache (in Alberta) to GC.com before January 31, 2006. The container size must be listed as 'large'. The terrain and difficulty ratings each must be less than or equal to 3. You may use camouflage, but the entire cavity of the container must be available for holding swag. Remember, you want cachers to find it, and you don't want it to be muggled.

2. To remain eligible to win, you must find all the other participating caches within 30km of yours. When you log the find, that cache gets 5 points and yours also gets 5 points. The intent behind this rule is to ensure each cache is visited by as many players as possible to verify the 'size points' and adherence to the above rules, and to have periodic visits to check if the cache has been muggled. As well, contestants from different regions of the province are exempt from having to find every participating cache - so we might be able to reasonably compare everyone's score.

3. Your cache will be disqualified if you unfairly solicit visitations. This will remain open to interpretation, but some examples include
...don't make it part of a puzzle or multicache concept
...don't announce FTF prizes
...don't create a TB that wants to visit your cache.
You may promote your cache only on the merits of the properties of the container itself and of the location where it is hidden.

Watch this topic for updates on scores, edits to the rules, and links to the participating GC.com cache pages.

Last edited by Stig Figger on Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Stig Figger
Geo-D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First stats post:

Links:
The Tank
Pail By Comparison

I submitted my cache last night and it was published this morning. Pretty quick turnaround. But you shouldn't be that concerned about being late with your contest submissions, since it can be easy to still get lots of 'find points' and 'TB points' to compensate.
Geo-synchronous

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
My cache has been sent in for approval. Here is the link:
Cache listing
Coordinates: N 51° 00.907 W 114° 13.562
Parking: N51 00.994 W114 13.316
Size? Hmm - I was never too good at calcuating sizes for odd-shaped containers, but my best estimate is....
1,575 litres ((2.1m x 1.5m x 1.0m)/2)
Is that big enough??!! (Gosh! I sure hope it doesn't get muggled too quickly...!) I have pictures to prove it.
The container is filled with trade items too. I setimate that the trade items alone occupy about 500 litres!!
So, anyway - add me to the tracker. I'll post here when the cache is approved!!!
Thanks, Miles/..
peanutbutterbreadandjam - World's longest GeoCaching name and #1 SmartA$$!!
Mr. Speedy
Geo-D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanutbutterbreadandjam wrote:

WOW! That's almost worth a trip to Calgary just to see this cache! Cool! Cool
Viajero Perdido
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Speedy wrote:
peanutbutterbreadandjam wrote:

WOW! That's almost worth a trip to Calgary just to see this cache! Cool! Cool

Nah - you should be able to see it from space. Google-Earth it!
peanutbutterbreadandjam
Geo-synchronous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listed!
http://www.geocaching.com//seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4eb8a323-8a49-42f0-a0d6-68accc2e651f
Miles/..
peanutbutterbreadandjam - World's longest GeoCaching name and #1 SmartA$$!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index -> GPS Games All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: