GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index GeoCachingEdmonton.com
The Edmonton Area''s Geocaching Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Return to GCE   Open Chat Window

EarthSpot
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index -> GPS Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Speedy
Geo-D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: EarthSpot Reply with quote

“EarthSpot” is a spinoff game from our own "SnapSpot" game. The EarthSpot photograph will be a satellite picture from anywhere in the world. Your goal is to guess where it was taken, find the spot and try to take the same picture using Google Earth's "Save Image (CTRL-S)" feature. You will also have to indicate the actual coordinates of the center of the picture and the eye altitude at which the picture was taken (ideally within ~10m of the actual EarthSpot). Google Earth makes it easy to find out both the coordinates and altitude. The ‘winner’ is the player who first posts a link to their online shared photo (e.g. through flickr.com, photobucket.com, etc.). The ‘winner’ will then post the next picture so that others can try to find the new EarthSpot.

EarthSpot photos have to be taken using Google Earth and be of high resolution/quality.

Here are some additional rules:
1. Only high resolution picture can be posted.
2. Only clear shot can be posted.
3. No overlay picture that doesn't show up on an stock "off-the shelf" install version of Google Earth, unless there is a clear hint that you have to find a online .klm file to get it to show up.
4. Something identifyable has to be in the shot (no picture at 1,000 Km altitude).
5. Try to take the photo so that the location can be unambiguously determined (e.g. no extreme close-ups, just a mountain or cloud, a common building, etc.). On the flipside, don’t make it too obvious (like showing the city/street name - Turn off that feature in GE.)!
6. Use imaging spoftare (MS Paint, Photoshop, etc) to crop the picture and remove the location bar at the bottom of the picture.
7. Use imaging software to smudge/blackout/remove any obvious location identifiers, such as city name, etc.

For each week after the EarthSpot photo is posted and there is no winner, reveal one digit in the ‘minutes’ portion of each of the Northing and Westing co-ordinates of the EarthSpot to help players refine their searches. e.g. N53° 3_' _.__ W113° 2_' _.__ would be revealed 7 days after posting the photo…and then N53° 32' _.__ W113° 29' _.__ would be revealed after another 7 days. We'll use the "Degree, Minutes, decimal Seconds" notation to make it easier with Google Earth as GE does not support the Geocaching notation of "Degree, decimal minutes"

Have fun!

Last edited by Mr. Speedy on Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mr. Speedy
Geo-D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the first "EarthSpot"

Eye alt: xxx m

Hint: This one does not show up in off-the-shelf Goggle Earth. You may have to do some online searching to get it to display as an overlay picture, but once you find that information, it'll be quite obvious to find!

Good luck!
Stig Figger
Geo-D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this?

.kml file found here.
Geo-D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeAndSpace wrote:
How's this?

Pretty good, pretty good! Pretty fast too!

Your eye altitude is a little off, but for the first one, we'll say that's good enough!

Your coords are N35° 37' 12.15" W115° 22' 58.68"
My coords are N35° 37' 12.19" W115° 22' 58.80"

Your eye altitude is 859 meters
My eye altitude is 797 meters

Congratulations Tme & Space. Can't wait for your entry!
Mr. Speedy
Geo-D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Speedy wrote:
Your eye altitude is a little off, but for the first one, we'll say that's good enough!

I just realize that the eye altitude may vary depending on your screen resolution (or the size of your Google Earth window). I had a larger screen (higher resolution) so I can display more of the picture at once. In order to display the exact same picture on your screen, you had to elevate your eye altitude a bit more. So we have to account for that in determining the winner.
Stig Figger
Geo-D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. My first entry:

I would like to let everyone stew over this for a couple days with no co-ordinate information at all. It's easily 'findable' if you know what it is and search the correct term in Google Earth.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeAndSpace wrote:
I would like to let everyone stew over this for a couple days

I thought that looked like the Louvre...

[/url]

48.861040, 2.335835, roughly 858m up.

"A nice easy find today" - only had to type one short word into GE's search box (see city name to right of image...)

Stay tuned...

Cheers,
VP
Viajero Perdido
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's a somewhat well-known place:

Where is this?
Mr. Speedy
Geo-D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeAndSpace wrote:
I would like to let everyone stew over this for a couple days with no co-ordinate information at all.

Already bending the rules, are you? Wink
testy
Geo-D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't own a Landsat that can take pictures (I even tried Ebay but no luck) so I suggest you call the new game "Google Earth Shot" as you require that program to play this game, then add the moon and Mars while you're at it. Not that my idea was so great I mean it would be hard to find a picture of an area in Calgary if you have never been there.

But there are some great communities that hilight some very interesting things that have been found via Google earth like this big boat one so maybe that's where this idea should go, eh?
Mr. Speedy
Geo-D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

testy wrote:
...so I suggest you call the new game "Google Earth Shot" as you require that program to play this game

You gotta have a bit of imagination! I thought the name "Earth Spot" was kinda cool and besides, the rules clearly states that you have to use Google Earth.

testy wrote:
...I mean it would be hard to find a picture of an area in Calgary if you have never been there.

That's the whole point of giving clues and partial coordinates. Heck the game is not even a day old and people have already found Earth Spots in Las Vegas and Paris! Shocked
Stig Figger
Geo-D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Speedy wrote:
TimeAndSpace wrote:
I would like to let everyone stew over this for a couple days with no co-ordinate information at all.

Already bending the rules, are you? Wink

I would like to have it this way...but I expected it to be debated. You now know what my vote would be Very Happy .
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viajero Perdido wrote:
Okay, here's a somewhat well-known place:

I've gotta hand it to Viajera Perdida. I showed her this forum thread, and - without scrolling down to peek - she figured out the Louvre in about 30 seconds, and the second one ("That's _____, isn't it?") in only 4 or 5 seconds. I'm impressed.

It helps, of course, if you've already been to the places in question. Smile I'll make the next one a little harder, if it comes back around to me again...

===

First hint: Those last two pictures have several things in common.
Viajero Perdido
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second hint: Coordinates are lat 4x.xxxxxx, lon 2y.yyyyyy.
Mr. Speedy
Geo-D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N S? E W?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GeoCachingEdmonton.com Forum Index -> GPS Games All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 1 of 50

Jump to: